Ep #72: Things That Matter and Things You Can Control
As we finish out the year and head into 2023, I wanted to share one of my favorite Carl Richards sketches in this episode showing the things that matter and the things you can control. If you’re a regular listener, you’ve heard me mention Carl before. Carl is a thought leader in the personal finance space, and many advisors look up to him for the way he teaches behavioral finance and financial concepts.
Carl started his career as a financial advisor but is no longer practicing. Instead, he devotes his time to breaking down sometimes complex financial concepts into simple, elegant, black-and-white doodles.
One of his most popular and my personal favorite is a Venn Diagram.
Your Core Values
I love this doodle because it relates to something I believe and often preach, define your core values and put your focus there. That is where you find success, fulfillment, and satisfaction.
As we move into the holiday season, there is a lot of hustle and bustle. People sometimes think this time of year slows down, but more often, it speeds up. We have to wrap up end-of-year things at work; we may be traveling for the holidays or hosting holiday gatherings and attending holiday events.
During this busy time, carve out 15 or 20, or 30 minutes to reflect on Carl’s doodle. It represents what I encourage everyone to pursue as they make financial plans and life plans. That overlap is where life is created. So what do you need to focus on? What is important to you as we move into 2023?
This is the last podcast of the year, my third year of podcasting. I’ll be back in January to begin my fourth year! Like and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts, and check out the YouTube channel too.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- How to separate what matters from what you can control.
- Where you should put your focus.
- The purpose you have and the plan you’re a part of.
- The importance of taking time to focus on what’s important.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
- “Everyone thinks this time of year slows down—it doesn’t. It speeds up.’” – Jonathan Bednar
- “Exactly what you’re going through is what’s envisioned for you, and God has a perfect plan for you.” – Jonathan Bednar
- “It’s a time to remember what’s important to you, what matters, and where you should focus as you go into 2023.” – Jonathan Bednar
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- What Matters / What You Can Control – Carl Richards
- What The Wealth?! by Jonathan Bednar
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: