Ep #29: Donor-Advised Funds
In this episode, you will learn about donor-advised funds. From what they are to who they are best for and how to set them up properly, I’ll give you a quick rundown of the most important info you need to know. Whether you know the charity you want to give to, or you want to save up and give a higher dollar amount contribution, donor-advised funds might be for you.
Listen in as I give you insight into the deductions that work best with this kind of fund, as well as different strategies that people employ in order to make their money go further. You will learn some important aspects of the fund, including how the irrevocable commitment works and when you can take a tax deduction for it.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- What a donor-advised fund is.
- How these funds can be used.
- The difference between itemized and standard deductions (and why you might want to do both).
- What you can donate.
- When to take a tax deduction.
- Three main benefits of contributing to a donor-advised fund.
- The grouping strategy.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
“What this is, is a flexible, tax-efficient way to give to your favorite charities.” – Jonathan Bednar
“You can donate cash, stocks, interest from private businesses, private stock, fixed income, or whatever you want. A donor-advised fund is an irrevocable commitment to charity, so once you make that donation into the account, you cannot take it out or change your mind.” – Jonathan Bednar
“You can actually donate appreciated assets. This is particularly impactful because you don’t have to pay capital gain taxes.” – Jonathan Bednar
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Jonathan Bednar: Email | Twitter | LinkedIn
- What The Wealth by Jonathan Bednar
- Other sources
- Want to learn more about important financial topics? Visit our blog here!
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: